Friday, June 1, 2012

Feeling a bit frustrated...

I've been searching my brain for my classroom decoration for next year.  I have four bulletin boards, and last year I changed them every quarter. They had colorful paper, border, and related classroom material on them.  My only complaint is that it didn't connect to make one room.  I felt with the different colors and ideas that it made it separate areas of a room, not connecting it in fluidity like I want.  I am tossing around the idea of creating a classroom theme for my room next year, but my only problem is that I teach MS.  Is it too young to still keep a theme for my classroom?  Now, I'm not thinking bumblebees or ocean but more "adult"-like ideas.


I took to the internet to see what other teachers do.  I know in my school not one MS teacher has an ongoing theme--not even a color theme, I don't think.  The internet is a wonderful tool, because just by googling pictures I see classroom from across the country. One thing is always lacking...COLOR!  I hopped onto the forum at atozteacherstuff.com --which I LOVE!-- and they had comments from MS teachers and their classrooms.  Many of them said they had just motivational posters and student work. REALLY?? Some of them even argued that having anything more is "distracting". PAH! With what few bulletin boards I had, the kids always noticed them, read them, and discussed them.  Now, not in the middle of class, but when entering and leaving, it was a cool discussion point that they had among themselves.  What did the saying mean?  What words can you find in this Boggle? It frustrates me that teachers aren't putting up color and connected material in a creative way because they think it HINDERS students.  Call me young and green, but I cannot let my classroom be blank and bare. Maybe that's the difference here -- my age. Who knows.


Do any of you teach MS?  What decor do you have in a classroom? Would a theme still be suitable for MS students?


Loves,
Maria <3

No comments: